- November 26-December 20, 2020. SHE Factory first experiment
- March 25, 2019. Inauguration of the Superheavy Element Factory in the FLNR JINR.
- On December 26, 2018 DC-280 cyclotron first beam of accelerated heavy ions was produced in the FLNR JINR.
- All works on creation of DC-280 cyclotron complex are completed in the FLNR JINR. New cyclotron start-up is planned for November 2018.
(JINR TV, September 12, 2018)
- Commissioning of DC-280 cyclotron complex (JINR TV, July 12, 2018)
FLNR JINR DC-280 cyclotron complex. Commissioning of all systems is under way.
JINR SI Department
Creation of SHE factory based on the high-intensity universal DC-280 cyclotron (A ≤ 238, E ≤ 10 MeV/A, I ≤ 20 pµA) in a new separate experimental building is a part of the DRIBs-III project according to the Seven-Year Plan for the Development of JINR 2010-2016 approved by the Committee of Plenipotentiaries of the Governments of the JINR Member States (CPP) in November 2009.
The SuperHeavy Element Factory will increase the overall production of super-heavy nuclei by one-two orders of magnitude with respect to presently achieved rates. This will enable the studies of nuclear /atomic structure of heaviest atoms and open the door to the discoveries of new elements above Z=118 and of isotopes closer to the predicted shell closure at N=184.
SHE Factory Goals
Experiments at the extremely low (σ<100 fb) cross sections:
- Synthesis of new SHE in reactions with 50Ti, 54Cr …;
- Synthesis of new isotopes of SHE;
- Study of decay properties of SHE;
- Study of excitation functions.
Experiments requiring high statistics:
- Nuclear spectroscopy of SHE;
- Precise mass measurements;
- Study of chemical properties of SHE.
- DC280 cyclotron, a stand-alone SHE-factory
- Synthesis and study of properties of superheavy elements;
- Search for new reactions for SHE-synthesis;
- Chemistry of new elements;
DC280 cyclotron main design parameters
Ion source DECRIS-PM – 14 GHz on the
HV platform (Umax=60 kV )
Injection energy Up to 80 keV/Z A/Z range 4÷7.5 Energy 4÷8 MeV/A Ion mass (for DECRIS-PM) 4-136 Intensities (A~50) >10 ρμA Magnetic field level 0.6÷1.3 T K factor 280 Dee voltage 2×130 kV RF power consumption 2×30 kW Flat-top dee voltage 2×13 kV Flat-top power consumption 2×2 kW Beam emittance less than 30 π mm•mrad Efficiency of beam transfer >50%
- SHE Factory Project progress