March 25, 2019. Flerov Laboratory of Nuclear Reactions.
The experimental building of the Superheavy Element Factory was symbolically opened and its basic facility DC280 cyclotron was put into operation with a formal ceremony.
The event was attended by CP Chairman, Minister of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation M. M. Kotyukov, members of the JINR Committee of Plenipotentiaries, representatives of the JINR Directorate and JINR Laboratories, Head of the city of Dubna M. N. Danilov and Chairman of the City Council of Deputies S. A. Kulikov. Representatives of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) also participated in the event.
- The event started with Academician V.A.Matveev’s congratulatory speech to all members of JINR international staff and especially FLNR team for creation of this unique SHE Factory and for experiments and research.
- Then guests had an excursion during which FLNR Director Prof. S.N.Dmitriev got them acquainted withDC280 cyclotron, SHE Factory basic facility.
- Later in the FLNR Conference Hall FLNR Scientific Leader Yu.Ts.Oganessian delivered a report for participants of the event on the history of synthesis of superheavy elements and the opportunities of the new research on SHE factory start-up.
- The command to start up DC-280 cyclotron was given by V. A. Matveev. S. N. Dmitriev directed the process of beam acceleration and tracinging.Prof. S.N.Dmitriev:”Dear colleagues in the console room, are you ready to start? JINR Director gives the command”
- Academician V.A.Matveev:”Put DC280 cyclotron into operation!”
- Prof. S.N.Dmitriev declared DC-280 cyclotron to be put into operation after demonstration of the ejected beam on the luminophor. M. M. Kotyukov, P. E. Oti-Boateng and U. Bassler congratulated the staff of the Joint Institute on this significant event.
“We are happy to be a part of such an important project,” Peggy Efua Oti-Boateng, Director of the UNESCO Division of Science Policy and Capacity Building, highlighted.
“It is fantastic to witness this event – the launch of the new cyclotron in Dubna where superheavy elements have been discovered. I congratulate all attendees and wish great discoveries,” Ursula Bassler, CERN Council President, noted.
Video by the JINR Scientific Information Department
Photos by Elena Puzynina (JINR Scientific Information Department)