ACCULLINA-2 - fragment separator of the new generation
- ACCULINNA-2 is in-flight fragment separator which belongs to the third generation of the DRIBs facilities. It is to be installed on a primary beam line of the upgraded cyclotron U400M and will be more powerful instrument for production of secondary 6-60 A•MeV RIBs. The new separator is the first stage facility in the process of production of high quality beams of radioactive nuclei with energy of 10-100 keV suitable for applied works in solid-state physics and for injection into an ion trap for mass-spectrometry and/or charge radii measurements. Practical realization of the new DRIBs-3 ISOL facility, i.e., injection of the low energy (10-30 keV) RIBs into the upgraded variable energy cyclotron U400R for the further acceleration up to 5-20 A•MeV is the main goal.
Layout of the new fragment separator ACCULINNA-2 in the U-400M cyclotron hall.
- Characteristics of existing, and new in-flight RIB separators
(ΔΩ and Δp/p are angular and momentum acceptances, Rp/Δp is the first-order momentum resolution when 1 mm object size is assumed)
||0.9 / 5.8
||5.0 / 8.0
||0.32 / 5.0
||± 2.5 / ± 3.0
||± 3.0 / 6.0
||± 2.0 / 5.0
||1000 / 2000
||1500 / 3300
||8600 / 3050
||3.2 / 3.9
||5.76 / 9.0
||18 / 18
||3.2 - 4.3
||21 / 38
||27 / 77
||74 / 140
||10÷40 / 6÷60
||50÷90 / 350
||No / RF-kicker
|• ACCULINNA-2 will be compatible with RIPS: it’s more extended and operating at low energy domain ERIB ~ 6-60 AMeV with ZRIB = 1-36
• • inexpensive project / conditions to work with tritium target / experience
- The scientific program of ACCULINNA-2 fragment separator presupposes the extensive use of the advantages of low energy RIBs (E ~ 6-60 A MeV), cryogenic gaseous targets (including tritium) and modern technique for the study of light exotic nuclei with Z<36.
- Project status and prospects
- ACCULINNA-2 construction progress >>>
- W. Beeckman et al., Status of ACCULINNA-2 RIB Fragment Separator HRS Workshop, GSI, November 2015
- The possible proposed experiments at ACCULINNA-2 are aimed at the studies of the structure of proton rich nuclei 12O,16,17Ne, 19Mg, 26,27S and extremely neutron rich isotopes like 7H, 10He, 11Li, 16Be,19C.
- Fragment separator ACCULINNA-2. Letter of intent, ACCULINNA collaboration.
Version: 10.5, May 20, 2010.
download: [ pdf] (3 854Mb)
- Long-range plans for research with radioactive ion beams at JINR. A.S. Fomichev, A.A. Bezbakh, V. Chudoba, et al.
download: [ pdf] (343kb)
- First experiments at the ACCULINNA-2 fragment separator. A.S. Fomichev
download: [ pptx] (19 2483Mb)